Ever had one of “those” days? You know, the ones where you’re already insanely busy and barely have time to breathe and yet everything that could conceivably go wrong, does go wrong to an unbelievable extent, plus those few extra and unexpected hiccups and challenges that appear along the way. After the last 48 hours, I appear to be heading into not just one of “those” days or even one of “those” weeks, but more realistically, one of “those” months. The next few weeks promise to be extremely busy and I’m beginning to wonder how I’ll get everything done on time and in the right order. You know it’s a sad state of affairs when we’re only on the third day of the month and I’m already counting down to the start of the next one.
The month started with our rather low-key marking of “Dydd Dewi Sant”, or St David’s Day for those of you not au fait with the Welsh language. Fortunately, this simply required some frantic scrabbling around my drawers hunting out the daffodil brooches that the children and I wear every year and remembering to pin them securely to school jumpers before heading out the door. The children were both keen and proud to wear their daffodils, though equally unimpressed that their friends didn’t know why they wearing them and so took the opportunity to quickly educate their classes. If I’d been more organised, I might have posted on the day itself, but I wasn’t and I didn’t, so this is me recognising that celebration of my heritage now.
But after that gentle start to the month, things have already started to ramp up. The next four weeks include:
- World book day and required costume x 1
- parents evenings x 2
- school book fairs x 2
- M-friendly croissants (eek!) for French role-play at school with just 3 days advance notice to attempt adapting my MEWS-free recipe
- Mothers Day
- riding lessons
- a 10th birthday (how did he get to be a decade old?)
- birthday celebrations, including themed party and cake
- class assembly x 1
- dentist appointment
- hair appointment
- GOSH appointment
- Performing Arts Exams x 2
- school play, which translates into costume provision, rehearsals and performances
- Spa day – a late birthday celebration which will be much-needed as it comes in the middle of the busiest week
- events linked to school topics which will undoubtedly require some inventive cooking from me
- preparations for a sibling camp for G, which gives her a week away with other youngsters in similar situations and, more importantly, a week away from M
I’m sure that there will be things I’ve already forgotten and likewise, there’s no doubt that there will be more items added to my list as March passes by. Needless to say, I will be blogging about many of these occasions and just how I overcome the challenges of taking my M-friendly cooking and baking a step further than I ever imagined possible. Once all of these things are out of the way, it’ll be time for a well-deserved drink and, in case you’re wondering, mine’s a large gin!