- 500ml rice milk
- 2tsp cider vinegar
- 360g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 450g caster sugar
- 160ml sunflower oil
- 4tsp vanilla essence
- Measure the rice milk into a jug and whisk in the cider vinegar gently until the milk starts to thicken slightly.
- Sieve the flour, cornflour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and mix, making a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Add the sunflower oil and vanilla extract to the milk and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients and stir gently until no lumps remain.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for 30-45 minutes.
Is cornflour what we call corn starch (here in Canada)? I am raising 4 granchildren and they all have food allergies. The youngest is allergic to soy, milk (dairy), and eggs. I am very interested in your recipes.
Myra, from Canada, where the temps are hovering around the -2 to +3C mark these days and the g’kids are wearing jackets and mitts outdoors for play.
I’m delighted you’ve found my blog. My DH is Canadian, although we’ve settled in the UK.
Yes, for the purposes of this recipe, cornflour is the same as your corn starch. I hope you have success with the recipes – do let me know how you get on!